London (UK) | Jagran News Desk: The London police on Saturday said that they have identified the man behind the terror attack on London Bridge which led to the death of two people.

According to police, the accused has been identified as 28-year-old Usman Khan. Khan, who spent part of his teens in Pakistan and released last year from a UK prison, is the suspect behind the incident.

The police further claimed that Khan was inspired by the ideology of al-Qaeda terror group and was previously sentenced to 16 years in prison term for his role in the London Stock Exchange bombing in 1990.

According to a report in The Telegraph, during the time of his sentencing in 2012, the court had warned that Khan was a ‘serious jihadist’ who should not be released.

The report further said that Khan left school with no qualifications after spending part of his late teens in Pakistan, where he lived with his mother when she became ill.

Meanwhile, the BBC has reported that Khan was out on licence from prison when he killed two people and injured three others in the stabbing attack on Friday, before he was shot dead by the Scotland Yard.

Two people were killed and several were injured on Friday in the London Bridge attack, said the police adding that Khan was wearing a hoax bomb vest.

In a statement, Scotland Yard's Head of Counter Terrorism Policing, Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said that a ‘number’ of people had been injured, some of whom are said to be critical.

He added that Khan had attended an event on Friday afternoon at the Fishmonger's Hall, a historic building near the London Bridge.

London Bridge was one of the areas targeted by an ISIS-claimed terrorist attack in June 2017, when 11 people died as terrorists went on a stabbing spree after ramming a van into pedestrians.

The terror threat level of the bridge was downgraded to ‘substantial’ by the government earlier this month. It means that a terrorist threat is likely rather than highly likely in the country.

(With PTI inputs)

Posted By: Aalok Sensharma