James Peebles, Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz win 2019 Nobel Prize for Physics
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: James Peebles, Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz on Tuesday won the Nobel prize in Physics. Peebles bagged the prize for 'theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology' while the Mayor and Queloz half jointly won the prize for 'discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star'.
The awards were decided by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences 'for contributions to our understanding of the evolution of the universe and Earth’s place in the cosmos'.
The Nobel committee tweeted, "This year's Nobel Prize in Physics rewards new understanding of the universe's structure and history, and the first discovery of a planet orbiting a solar-type star outside our solar system."
This year’s #NobelPrize in Physics rewards new understanding of the universe’s structure and history, and the first discovery of a planet orbiting a solar-type star outside our solar system. The discoveries have forever changed our conceptions of the world. pic.twitter.com/7RQmabi47z— The Nobel Prize (@NobelPrize) October 8, 2019
Results of James Peebles' insights show that only 5 per cent content of the universe is known that includes planets, trees, stars and us. The rest 95 per cent is unknown dark matter.
Michel and Didier, on the other hand, discovered the first planet '51 Pegasi b' outside the solar system making way for the discovery of over 4000 exoplanets in the Milky Way. The discoveries have forever changed the conceptions of the universe.
Born in 1935, James Peebles is a Ph.D. from Princeton University, USA. He is a professor of science at Princeton University, USA.
Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz are Swiss who completed his Ph.D. from the University of Geneva, Switzerland. The duo works at a professor at the University. Queloz is a professor at the University of Cambridge, UK.
The trio jointly wins 9 million Swedish Krona (roughly Rs 6.5 crore), with one half to James and the other half jointly to Queloz and Mayor.
Earlier on Monday, Kaelin Jr, Ratcliffe and Semeza had jointly won the 2019 Nobel Prize for medicine. The winners this year's Nobel prize in Chemistry will be announced on Wednesday.
Posted By: James Kuanal