Geneva (Switzerland) | Jagran News Desk: Days after suspending the clinical trial of the experimental drug COVID-19 drug hydroxychloroquine, the World Health Organisation (WHO) on Wednesday said that it has reviewed the safety data and recommend the trial to continue as planned.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Wednesday said that the world agency’s safety monitoring committee for the global trial had now examined all available mortality data about hydroxychloroquine.

Ghebreyesus further told that the decision was taken as a precaution while the safety data were reviewed.

“Last week, the executive group of the Solidarity Trial decided to implement a temporary pause of the hydroxychloroquine arm of the trial, because of concerns raised about the safety of the drug,” he said.

“The data safety and monitoring committee of the Solidarity Trial has been reviewing the data,” he added.

Ghebreyesus added that the executive group received this recommendation and endorsed continuation of all arms of the Solidarity Trial, including hydroxychloroquine.

He said that the executive group will communicate with the principal investigators in the trial about resuming the hydroxychloroquine arm of the trial.

“The data safety and monitoring committee will continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in the Solidarity Trial,” he noted.

The WHO on May 25 had stopped its large study of the anti-malarial drug to treat COVID-19 due to fears it increased death rates and irregular heartbeats in patients.

It had announced the suspension of trails after a study published in The Lancet medical journal suggested that the drug could increase the risk of death among COVID-19 patients.

Hydroxychloroquine is normally used to treat arthritis but pronouncement from public figures including US President Donald Trump -- who announced last week he is taking the drug -- has prompted governments to bulk buy the medicine.

(With AFP inputs)

Posted By: Aalok Sensharma