New Delhi | Jagran Lifestyle Desk: Pradosh vrat is one of the important days for all Hindus as it is dedicated to Lord Shiva. However, when a Pradosh vrat falls on Sunday is known as Ravi Pradosh Vrat. This day is observed on the Trayodashi tithi of the Lunar fortnight in both Shukla Paksha and Krishna Paksha. This year, the auspicious day is being observed on October 17. On this day, devotees observe a day-long fast and perform puja after sunset to seek the blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Gauri.
As per Hindu text, it is auspicious to worship Lord Shiva when Trayodashi tithi and Pradosha time overlaps.
Ravi Pradosh Vrat 2021: Date and Shubh Muhurat
Date: October 17, Sunday
Trayodashi Tithi Begins - 05:39 PM on Oct 17, 2021
Trayodashi Tithi Ends - 06:07 PM on Oct 18, 2021
Day Pradosha Time - 05:49 PM to 08:20 PM
Pradosha Puja Muhurat - 05:49 PM to 08:20 PM
Ravi Pradosh Vrat 2021: Significance
It is one of the auspicious days to worship Lord Shiva as on this day he defeated the danavas and asuras who caused massive destruction. As per the Hindu texts, Lord Shiva and his mount Nandi protected the Devas from the demons during the Pradosh Kaal. This is why, devotees observe fast during Pradosh Kaal to seek the blessings of Lord Shiva for a trouble-free, joyful, peaceful and prosperous life.
Ravi Pradosh Vrat 2021: Puja Vidhi
- Take an early bath in the morning of Pradosh and wear clean clothes.
- In the evening visit Shiva temple for Abhishek.
- Abhishek is done by bathing Shivling with ghee, milk, honey, curd, sugar, gangajal, etc. while chanting 'om namah shivay.'
- Chant Mahamrityunjay mantra, recite Shiv Chalisa and other mantras.
- Conclude the puja by performing aarti.
Ravi Pradosh Vrat 2021: Mantra
1. OM Trayambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushti Vardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanaan Mrityormukshi Mamritaat
2. OM Tatpurushaya Vidmahe Mahadevaya Dheemahi Tanno Rudra Prachodayat
3. OM Namo Bhagavate Rudraya
Posted By: Niharika Sanjeeiv