Vat Purnima Vrat 2021: Here's the date, time, importance, history and more about the auspicious day
New Delhi | Jagran Lifestyle Desk: Vat Purnima Vrat is one of the most significant vrats observed by married women for the longevity of their husbands and for well being of the family. For the Hindus those who follow Purnimant calendar, Vrat Savitri Vrat will be observed on Jyeshtha Purnima. Meanwhile, in South India, where Hindus follow Amanta calendar, Vat Purnima Vrat is also called Vat Savitri Vrat. It will be observed during Jyeshtha Purnima and will be celebrated on June 24, 2021, Thursday.
Vat Purnima Vrat 2021: Date and time
- Purnima start June 24, 2021 at 02:02 am
- Purnima ending June 24, 2021 at 10:39 pm
- Sunrise 06:25 am
- Sunset. 06:16 pm
Vat Purnima Vrat 2021: Shubh mahurat
- Brahma muhurat 04:48 am to 05:36 am
- Abhijit muhurat 11:57 am to 12:44 pm
- Godhuli muhurat 06:05 pm to 06:29 pm
- Amrit Kaal 11:26 pm to 12:52 am, June 25
- Ravi Yog 06:25 am to 07:41 am
Vat Purnima Vrat 2021: Significance
In Hindu Purana like Bhavishyothra Purana, Skanda Purana and Mahabharat, the significance of Vat Savitri Vrat has been glorified. When Lord Yama, the Lord of death, came to take Satyawan, the husband of Savitri, she compelled Yama to return his life. Yama was pleased with the devotion of Savitri and returned without taking Satyawan with him. Women worship Vat, the Banyan tree, as they treat it as a symbol of Trimurti- Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh. This day honours the dedication of Savitri who saved her husband from the clutches of Yamaraj.
Vat Purnima Vrat 2021: Story
Once there was a kingdom named Madra where King Ashvapati and queen Malavi worshipped God Savitr. Therefore, when they were blessed with a baby daughter they named her Savitri. She led an ascetic life in the kingdom and later when she grew up, the king, her father asked her to set out to find herself a husband. She selected to marry Satyavan son of an exiled king Dyumatsenec.
Lord Narad Muni warned her that Satyvan is destined to die in a year. However, Savitri was firm on her decision and after marriage, she moved to the forest with her husband. Later the days went by and on the day when Satyawan was destined to die, Savitri laid his body under a Banyan tree. Lord Yama came to fetch his soul but Savitri pleaded and praised Yamaraj, who got impressed with her conviction told her to ask for three boons of her choice, except the life of Satyavan. Her in-laws were on exile, she asked her first boon for them to be reinstated in their kingdom with peace and grace. She asked the second boon for a son for his father. Lastly, she demanded her kids as her third boon. Yama stood there in a dilemma but finally agreed and left Satyavan alive. Savitri circled around the Banyan tree after that Satyavan woke up. Savitri could save the life of her husband.
Vat Purnima Vrat 2021: Puja vidhi
- Before sunrise women take bath with Sesame (til) and gooseberry (amla) added in water.
- They wear new clothes, bangles, sindoor etc.
- Women who fast on this day eat roots.
- Puja is performed under Banyan tree. In case the tree is not available, a stick of Banayan tree is dug in the soil. But even if this is not possible, a portrait of Banyan tree is made on wood with turmeric and sandal wood paste.
- Some women place idols of Satyavan and Savitri, offer vermilion along with other things to them.
- Water, flowers, rice, gram seeds and special dishes made at home are offered to the Banyan tree.
- Women do parikrama around the Banyan tree with chanting and winding yellow and red thread around it.
- They listen to story of Satyavan and Savitri.
- Prasad is distributed.
- Women donate food, clothes etc to poor people.
Posted By: Sanyukta Baijal