Som Pradosh Vrat 2021: Here's the date, significance, shubh muhurat, mantras, fasting rituals and more about the special day
New Delhi | Jagran Lifestyle Desk: Som Pradosh Vrat is termed as one of the crucial fasts among all the Pradosh vrats as it takes place on Monday which in Hindi is Somvaar (dedicated to Lod Shiva). According to the Panchang, this auspicious fast will fall on Trayodashi tithi, which is, on May 24 of Vaishak Shukla. Going by the Hindu beliefs, when Pradosh vrat falls on Monday, it increases the importance of the fast. This is not just because the day is considered auspicious due to Lord Hiva but also because of the position of stars and planets on Monday has special significance.
As the Som Pradosh Vrat has arrived today, we have brought to you some important details of the festival which includes significance, rules to follow while fasting, shubh muhurat and more. Check below:
Som Pradosh Vrat 2021 Date & Time
Date: May 24, Monday
Shubh Tithi Begins: 3:38 am on May 24
Shubh Tithi Ends: 12:11 am on May 25
Kaal Pradosh will start at 7:10 pm and conclude at 9:13 pm on May 24.
Som Pradosh Vrat 2021 Puja Vidhi
As per Hindu puranic, Pradosh vrat tithi falls after sunset, so devotees should perform the puja after sunset only.
- Before the puja take a bath and wear clean clothes
- Collect all the puja samgiri before you commence rituals
- Place a kalash or earthen pot fill with Gangajal and flowers
- It is auspicious to do abhishek on this day, so offer gangajal, milk, ghee, curd, honey to shivlinga
- Offer incense stick, bhelpatra and dhatura to shivlinga
- Recite pradosh vrat katha, chant Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra 108 time, shiva Chalisa. Conclude the puja by performing aarti.
Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra
oṃ tryámbakaṃ yajāmahe sughandhíṃ puṣṭivardhánam
urvārukam iva bandhánān mṛtyor mukṣīya māmṛtāt
Som Pardosh Vrat 2021 Significance
According to Hindu belief, those who worship Lord Shiva on this day and observe day-long fast are blessed with health, wealth, prosperous and peaceful life. Also, those who are suffering from the ill effects of planetary moments get relief. Some female devotees observe fast for a suitable groom or a child.
Som Pradosh Vrat 2021 Fasting Rules
- Offer Arghya to Lord Sun
- Maintain celibacy while observing the vrat
- Do meditation and connect with your inner self
- Keep chanting Om Nama Shivaya
- You can consume fruits, milk, kuttu, sabudana, singhara, etc, while observing fast
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and tobacco
- Avoid the use of cuss words
- Avoid consumption of onion, garlic, rice, wheat and non-vegetarian food
Posted By: Niharika Sanjeeiv