New Delhi | Jagran Lifestyle Desk: Navratri 2021, one of the biggest and most auspicious Hindu festivals, began on Thursday. The nine-day affair, dedicated to Maa Durga, is celebrated every year across the country with full fervour and joy. During the 9 days of Navratri 2021, devotees worship nine different forms of Goddess Durga. On day 1, Maa Shailputri was worshipped and devotees asked for good health and prosperity in life from her.
The second day of Navratri, which is being observed today, is dedicated to another incarnation of Goddess Durga known as Maa Brahmacharini. Devotees worship Maa Brahmacharini who signifies bachelorhood, as the name suggests. Devotees wear white colour dresses on this day as it represents Maa Brahmacharini's colour signifying purity.
Maa Brahmacharini: Date and time
- Dwitiya Tithi up to 10:48 am
- Sunrise 06:17 am
- Sunset 05:59 pm
Maa Brahmacharini: Significance
In Vedic texts the meaning of Brahmacharini is a female who possesses sacred religious knowledge. She wears white clothes and depicted as walking on the bare feet. In her right hand, she holds Japa mala and Kamandalu is there in her left hand. To marry Lord Shiva maiden Parvati did Tapsya for thousands of years. She lived in mountains observed yogin and tapas. After her severe penance, Lord Shiva married her.
Her abode is in Svadhishthana Chakra. It is believed that Lord Mangal is governed by Goddess Brahmcharini.
Maa Brahmacharini: Mantra
1. Oṃ Devī Brahmacāriṇyai Namaḥ
2. Dadhanakara Padmabhyam akshamala kamandalam,
Devi prasidathu mayi brahmacharinya nuththama.
Maa Brahmcharini: Puja vidhi
- Devotees should take early bath and wear clean clothes.
- Idol of Goddess is placed near Kailasha.
- Offer Pan and Supari to Goddess.
- Flowers are offered, preferably Jasmine flower.
- Deepak of ghee is lit in front of the idol.
- Shri Durga Saptshati Path is recited.
- Mantras of Maa Brahmacharini are chanted.
- Aarti is performed and Bhog is offered in the morning as well in the evening.
Posted By: Subhasish Dutta