New Delhi | Jagran Lifestyle Desk: Vijaya Dashami, also known as Dashain and Dussehra, is one of the major Hindu festivals of India. This day marks the victory of good over evil. This day is celebrated on the tenth day of Navratri which falls on the Dashami tithi of Ashwin month of the Hindu calendar. As the special day is here, we have brought you some interesting facts and information about it which might interest you.
Vijayadashami is celebrated in different parts of India for different reasons. In some regions, it marks the victory of Goddess Durga over the demon Mahishasura. Meanwhile, in some places, the day is remembered as Lors Rama's victory over Ravana.
In Hindu scriptures, a lot has been said about the Gods and demons and therefore, here we are with a few interesting and lesser-known things about Ravan which will surprise you. Take a look
Dussehra 2021: Facts about Ravana
- Ravana's name comes from a Sanskrit word that means roaring.
- Ravana is also known as Dashanana, Lankeshwar, Lankapati etc.
- Ravana was a demon king of the island Lanka which he illegally took from his half-brother Kubera.
- He was the eldest son of sage Vishrava and Rakshasi Kaikeshi and had 3 siblings and a step brother.
- He is described as a devotee of Lord Shiva.
- He was a great scholar, efficient ruler as well a maestro of the musical instrument Veena.
- Ravana was an author too. He wrote- Ravana Samhita, a book on Astrology and Arka Prakasham, a book on Siddha medicine.
- Ravana possessed the nectar of immortality, stored inside his belly.
Posted By: Sanyukta Baijal