New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Dreaded gangster Vikas Dubey was killed in an encounter on Friday morning after a police vehicle carrying him from Ujjan to Kanpur met with an accident and he tried to escape from the spot.

The police said that Dubey snatched the pistol of an STF personnel and tried to flee after the vehicle overturned. Surrounder by the policemen, he was asked to surrender but the criminal, accused of killing eight policemen last week, opened fire at the cops. 

Dubey was injured in retaliatory firing by the police and was rushed to a nearby hospital. The gangster was later declared dead by the hospital authorities. 

Senior Superintendent of Police (Kanpur) Dinesh Kumar P said that the accident took place on Friday morning when it was raining heavily and the police vehicle overturned near Kanpur.

"Some policemen accompanying Dubey were also injured in the incident," the SSP said. He, however, did not specify whether they were injured in the accident or during the encounter.    

Dubey was being brought back from Ujjain to Kanpur when the car carrying him overturned near Bhauti area amid heavy rainfall.

He was arrested from outside the Mahakal Temple in Ujjain on Thursday after purchasing prasad and an entry ticket to the shrine, ending a six-day manhunt for the man accused of masterminding a deadly ambush on a police party outside his home in Kanpur.

However, temple sources gave a slightly different account. They said Dubey reached the temple gate in the
morning and purchased a Rs 250 ticket from a counter near the police post. When he went to a nearby shop to buy prasad for the deity, the shop owner identified him and alerted police, they added.

The difference in the theories pointed out that the gangster may have staged his arrest in order to evade a possible encounter killing. 

Carrying a reward of Rs 5 lakh for information leading to his arrest, Dubey had been on the run since last
Friday night when a police party, which had gone to arrest him from his house in Bikru village in the Chaubeypur area of Kanpur, was ambushed. The group was caught in a hail of gunfire from rooftops, which left eight policemen, including a deputy superintendent. 

Posted By: Abhinav Gupta