Timely case identification, proper clinical management reason for low mortality rate in India: Health Ministry
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: The Union Health Ministry on Thursday credited the efforts of timely identification of positive cases and proper clinical management for the low mortality rate of COVID-19 cases in the country, which stood at 3.06 as against the 6.65 global rate.
The ministry further said that the analysis in death related to the Covid-19 show 64 per cent of the fatalities in males and the remaining 36 per cent in females.
Providing an age distribution of the fatalities, the ministry said 0.5 per cent of the deaths are reported in the less than 15 years age group, 2.5 per cent between 15 and 30 years, 11.4 per cent in those aged between 30 and 45, 35.1 per cent between 45-60 years and 50.5 per cent fatalities among people aged above 60 years.
Further, 73 per cent of the deaths had underlying co-morbidities. Elderly people (above 60 years of age) and people having co-morbidities are identified as high risk groups for COVID-19.
"The case mortality rate in India is 3.06 per cent, which is much lesser in comparison to the global case mortality rate of 6.65 pc. This brings into focus our efforts towards timely case identification and proper clinical management of the cases," the ministry said in its statement.
The death toll due to COVID-19 rose to 3,435 and the number of cases climbed to 1,12,359 in the country in a 24-hour span till Thursday 9 AM, registering an increase of 132 deaths and 5,609 cases.
A total of 45,299 patients have recovered so far and 3,002 people have been cured in the last 24 hours.
"The recovery rate is improving continuously and is 40.32 per cent currently," it said. India currently has 63,624 active cases. These are all under active medical supervision. Of the active cases, around 2.94 per cent of the cases are in ICU, the statement added.
Face covers and masks should be used in public places and physical distancing should be followed. Large gatherings should be avoided. Individuals in high risk groups should stay at home except for essential and health purposes, the ministry advised.
Posted By: Talib Khan