Third Indian aboard quarantined Japanese cruise ship tests positive for coronavirus
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: The Indian Embassy in Tokyo on Friday said that a third Indian crew member on the quarantined Japanese ship Diamond Princess has been tested positive for the novel coronavirus. The embassy added that the person has been hospitalised and currently is under treatment.
"One more Indian crew member on Diamond Princess tested positive for COVIDー19 and hospitalised for treatment. Earlier, two more Indian nationals had tested positive. Indian Embassy Tokyo is in contact with all three, whose conditions are stable and improving," the Indian Embassy in Tokyo said in a Tweet on Friday.
This comes two days after the embassy said that two Indians were tested positive for the novel coronavirus that has claimed the lives of more than thousand people and affected over 64,000 people around the world.
The Japanese Diamond Princess cruise ship -- with 3,711 people on board including 138 Indians -- has been quarantined near the coast. As many as 218 people on board have been diagnosed with the coronavirus.
However, Japan on Friday allowed elderly passengers who test negative for the virus to leave the ship and finish their isolation in government-designated lodging.
Senior health ministry official Gaku Hashimoto boarded the ship Friday morning to announce that all passengers "who are considered to be high risk in general health" would now be tested for the virus.
"Those who test positive will be transferred to the hospital. Those who test negative will -- at the request of the individual -- disembark and be transferred to accommodation provided by the government," he said in a statement in English read out by the ship's captain in a public broadcast.
There were more than 3,700 people on the ship when it arrived off the Japanese coast last week, but those diagnosed with the virus have been taken off the boat, along with some people suffering other health conditions requiring medical attention.
Ten of those hospitalised are now in serious condition, Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said on Friday.
The deadly coronavirus, which originated in China's Wuhan, has claimed the lives of over 1,400 people and affected more than 64,000 around the world.
(With agency inputs)
Posted By: Aalok Sensharma