New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: A massive fire broke out in the slums of southeast Delhi's Tughlakabad on the intervening night of Monday and Tuesday.

According to reported over 1,500 shanties have been destroyed and fire department is still trying to douse the fire. However, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) of southeast Delhi Rajendra Prasad Meena has informed that no casualty has been reported so far.

Meena told media persons that they recieved a call at 12.50 am, following which 28 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained.

"We received information about a fire at around 1 am at slums in Tughlakabad. All police staff reached here immediately. It is being said that around 1,000-1,200 shanties caught fire," news agency ANI quoted Meena as saying.

"Locals are saying most people came out of their shanties after a fire broke. However, it cannot check as it is a big fire," he added.

Last year a similar fire broke out in Delhi's Anaj Mandi which claimed the lives of 43 people. The fire, which was caused by a short circuit at the second floor of a building, was the worst fire incident in Delhi after the horrific Uphaar cinema tragedy which claimed the lives of 59 people.

Following the incident, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the loss of lives in the "extremely horrific" incident while Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said it was "very, very tragic". PM Modi and Kejriwal also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh and Rs 10 lakh respectively for the next of kin of each of those killed.

Kejriwal also announced Rs 1 lakh for the injured and said his government will bear the cost of their treatment. The Prime Minister also approved Rs 50,000 each for those seriously injured. 

Posted By: Aalok Sensharma