Govt brings new rules for social media platforms, digital news firms and OTT services: Key Highlights
New Delhi | Jagran Tech Desk: The Centre on Thursday laid guidelines for social media platforms, digital media organisations and OTT streaming services introducing a sea change in legislation to assert more control over powerful big tech firms.
Laying the guidelines, Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said that the social media companies were welcome to do business in India, but "should not play double standards". He referred to the recent incident of Red Fort violence.
As per the guidelines, presented by Union Ministers Prakash Javadekar and Ravi Shankar Prasad, social media platforms will be required to disclose the details of the first instigator of the contentious post. The companies have been mandated to have a chief Compliance officer, Nodal Contact person and a Resident Grievance officer under the new system of social media regulatory mechanism.
⚡️ “Centre brings new rules for social media, digital news firms and OTT services: Key Highlights”https://t.co/BxbL4G5NLn— Jagran English (@JagranEnglish) February 25, 2021
Here are the highlights of the new guidelines laid down for social media platforms, digital news organisations and OTT streaming services:
- Social media intermediaries have to appoint grievance officer, who shall register complaints in 24 hours
- Content involving nudity, morphed pictures of women have to be removed in 24 hours
- Press Council Code followed by Print Media will now be followed by Digital Media
- We have decided to have a 3-stair mechanism for OTT platforms. OTT and digital news media will have to disclose their details. We are not mandating registration, we are seeking information: Union Minister Prakash Javadekar
- All media platforms must have the same justice system, says Prakash Javadekar.
- The new guidelines will come into effect in three months from now, says Ravi Shankar Prasad
- The social media platforms will be required to disclose the first originator of the mischievous tweet, says RS Prasad.
- We shall notify users number for a significant social media intermediary very soon. They will have to have a grievance redressal mechanism, you will also have to name a grievance officer who shall register the grievance within 24 hours & disposal in 15 days: Ravi Shankar Prasad
Posted By: Abhinav Gupta