New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Amid the ongoing tensions with China along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the Army chief General MM Naravane on Saturday said that the situation is "under control" while adding that a series of talks between military commanders from both sides had resulted in "a lot of disengagement".

"As a result, a lot of disengagement has taken place and we are hopeful that through the continued dialogue we're having, all perceived differences that we (India and China) have will be set to rest. Everything is under control," news agency ANI quoted the Army chief as saying.

The Army chief's statement comes amid the month-long border standoff with China along the LAC in eastern Ladakh. To solve the ongoing conflict, a series of talks have been held between the two sides, including a top Major General-level talk between the two Armies.

The military Commander-level talks were held on June 6 between 14 Corps Chief Lt Gen Harinder Singh and Chinese Maj Gen Liu Lin at Moldo opposite Chushul.

After the first round of talks, Chinese and Indian Armies disengaged by going back by 2-2.5 km from their stand-off positions at Galwan Nala, PP-15 and Hot Springs, following which the government had said that the two sides will continue the "military and diplomatic engagements" to resolve the situation and to "ensure peace and tranquillity" in the border areas. 

Military sources on Tuesday claimed that the two armies began "disengagement" around patrolling points 14 and 15 in Galwan Valley and another in the Hot Spring area, adding the Chinese side has even moved back up to 1.5 km in the two areas. However, there was no official word on it so far.

People familiar with the standoff said sizeable number of Chinese troops are still camping in Galwan Valley and Hot Spring and that the standoff in the areas continued.

The trigger for the face-off was China's stiff opposition to India laying a key road in the Finger area around the Pangong Tso Lake, besides construction of another road connecting the Darbuk-Shayok-Daulat Beg Oldie road in Galwan Valley.

The road in the Finger area in Pangong Tso is considered crucial for India to carry out patrol. India has already decided not to stall any border infrastructure projects in eastern Ladakh in view of Chinese protests.

The situation in the area deteriorated after around 250 Chinese and Indian soldiers were engaged in a violent face-off on May 5 and 6. The incident in Pangong Tso was followed by a similar incident in north Sikkim on May 9.

(With PTI inputs)

Posted By: Aalok Sensharma