Updated: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 01:45 PM IST
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday addressed the nation in his monthy radio program 'Mann Ki Baat' and highlighted the importance of social distancing and urged people to follow the rules of the lockdown.
The Prime Minister also apologised to the countrymen for the 'hardships' they are facing during the 21-day lockdown, saying the fight against coronavirus is unprecedented and therefore the government had to take unprecedented decisions. He also appealed people to take up old hobbies such as gardening, music during lockdown to deal with isolation.
Here are the key highlights from PM Modi's address to the nation:
* At many places, people have taken their responsibilities very seriously. They quarantined themselves even when they were asymptomatic. So when people are behaving so responsibly, it is unfair to ill-treat them
* Social distancing is most effective way of fighting against coronavirus. But we have to understand that social distancing does not mean ending social interaction. Actually, this is the time to give new lease of life to all your existing social relationships
* Acharya Charak had said that one who serves patients without desiring any material gain, is the best doctor. I salute every nurse today, you all are working with incomparable dedication. World is celebrating 2020 as the international year of the nurse and midwife
* There are many soldiers who are fighting coronavirus, not from their homes but from outside their homes. These are our front line soldiers-especially our brothers and sisters on duty as nurses, doctors and paramedical staff
* I understand that no one wants to break rules deliberately, but there are some people who are doing so. To them, I will say that if they don’t follow this lockdown, it will be difficult to protect ourselves from the danger of coronavirus
* As far as navratri fast is concerned, that is between me and my faith and supreme power. As regards fitness, I think that will be quite a lengthy topic, so what I'll do it, I'll upload some videos on this topic on social media. You can surely see those videos on Namo App
* I also saw on social media, that many people took out musical instruments like table and Veena that were lying unused for years – and started practising on them. You too can do that. That will not only give you the joy of music
* You might have noticed that govt has kept banking services open. And those working in the banking sector are there at your service – with full commitment and dedication – leading us in this fight
* E-commerce companies continuing delivering groceries. Just think, as you watch TV during lockdown,using phone, internet even while being homebound, someone working hard to ensure that these services continue uninterrupted