'Nobody above law': Key highlights from PM Modi's address as he extends free ration scheme till November
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday addressed the nation sixth time since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in India and appealed people to "follow all the rules and regulations" as the negligence in the country has increased since 'Unlock 1.0'.
The Prime Minister also announced that the central government has decided to extended the free ration scheme, which was announced earlier to supply free ration to the poor, till November. PM Modi said that the scheme will benefit over 80 crore poor people across the country while adding that the Centre will spend Rs 90,000 crore on the scheme.
Here are the key highlights from PM Modi's address to the nation:
* Under Prime Minister Garib Kalyan Yojana, we announced a package of Rs. 1.75 lakh crore. In the last 3 months, Rs. 31,000 crore deposited in bank accounts of 20 crore poor families. Also, Rs. 18,000 crore deposited in bank accounts of more than 9 crore farmers
* Today, if the government is able to provide free food grains to the poor and the needy, the credit goes to two sections. First, the hardworking farmers of our country and second, the honest taxpayers. I thank you from my heart
* During lockdown, rules were strictly abided by. Now, governments, local administration and citizens again have to show similar caution. We need to have a special focus on containment zones. If you see someone flouting norms, tell them to not do so
* Ever since Unlock 1.0 started in the country, negligence in personal and social behaviour has been increasing. Earlier, we were more cautious about the use of masks, 'do gaj doori' and washing hands several times a day for 20 seconds
* In comparison to other countries across the globe, India is still in a very stable situation, in the battle against COVID-19. Timely decisions and measures have played a great role
* We are entering Unlock 2.0 and the season of cough, fever and cold is also about to start. In such a situation, I urge countrymen to take care of themselves
* Under Prime Minister Gareeb Kalyan Anna Yojana, government will provide free ration to 80 crore poor brothers-sisters for next five months. Every member of the family will get 5 kg wheat or rice. Also, every family will get one kilogram whole chana per month, free of cost
Posted By: Aalok Sensharma