Muzaffarpur Shelter Rapes Case: SC orders Bihar govt to reunite 8 girls with their families
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: The Supreme Court on Thursday ordered that the eight girls who were sexually assaulted at a shelter home in Bihar be reunited with their families. The girls were residents of a shelter home in Muzaffarpur, Bihar where around 30 young women and minors faced sexual assault.
A bench headed by Justice N.V. Ramana also ordered the Bihar government to process the compensation/ entitlement as per the process, and also that the government should take care of the overall aid for the victims -- medical, educational, financial and development.
The top court’s direction came after the Tata Institute of Social Sciences submitted a report before it, informing that the eight girls were fit to be handed over to their families.
It was TISS which had brought the horrifying incident to light last year when it revealed in a report that over 30 girls were raped and sexually assaulted at a shelter home in Muzaffarpur for years.
The Supreme Court is dealing with an application filed by the Bihar government seeking permission to complete the process of rehabilitation and restoration of 44 girls of Muzaffarpur shelter home, who are presently residing in different shelter homes in the state, with their families.
The top court had in July this year allowed Koshish-- a field of action project by TISS -- to interact with these girls and their families to find out the acceptability of these children.
A total of 44 girls were victims in the shelter home abuse case, which is currently being probed by the CBI.
On Wednesday the counsel appearing for the centre had told the bench that they have filed a special report on National Child Protection Policy aimed at preventing incidents of sexual abuse of children.
The counsel appearing for Bihar had earlier told the apex court that children of shelter home have been kept in different childcare institutions and some of them have shown aggressive behaviour and indulged in inflicting self-harm.
Earlier in June, the Supreme Court had granted three months to CBI to complete the probe in the case. The apex court had transferred the case from Bihar to POCSO court, Delhi in February.
Posted By: James Kuanal