Ladakh Standoff: Railways terminates contract with Chinese firm amid calls to boycott ‘Made-in-China' products
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Amid the continued tensions between India and China over the violent face-off in Galwan Valley that killed at least 20 Indian soldiers on Monday, the Indian Railways on Thursday terminated its dedicated freight corridor contract with the Chinese firm due to "poor progress" on the signalling and telecommunication work on the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor's 417-km section between between Kanpur and Mughalsarai.
The Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India (DFCCIL) today decided to scrap its contract with Beijing National Railway Research and Design Institute of Signal and Communication Group Co. Ltd. However, the DFCCIL cited that the reason for termination is slow progress and reluctance of the company to furnish technical documents.
“In view of poor progress, it is decided by Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India (DFCCIL) to terminate the contract with Beijing National Railway Research and Design Institute of Signal and Communication Group Co. Ltd”, Railways said in a statement.
The development came amid the nation-wide demand of boycotting Chinese products after the violent face-off between the countries on June 15 that led to the martyrdom of at least 20 Indian soldiers, including an Army Colonel, and reportedly killing of 35 Chinese soldiers.
Earlier in the day, Union Minister, Ramdas Athawale, had said that people should stop eating Chinese food apart from boycotting Made-in-China products.
"My suggestion is that restaurants and hotels that sell Chinese food should be shut down. I also request those who eat Chinese food to stop eating them, boycott them," Athawale said as quoyted by news agency ANI.
"In such a time when our 20 soldiers were killed by the Chinese and they disrespected us, my request is that everyone should stop eating Chinese food. All the states must give an order to ban Chinese restaurant and hotels," the Union Minister added.
Meanwhile, a day after conducting inconclusive talks over the violent face-off between soldier, Major General-level talks between the two countries resumed again today to resolve the issues related to the face-off.
Earlier yesterday the talks between Major Generals of India and China in the Galwan valley in Ladakh remained inconclusive. "Talks between Major Generals of India and China in the Galwan valley are over. The talks have remained inconclusive as no immediate disengagement or change in the ground has taken place. More talks to take place in the coming days," sources told ANI.
Posted By: Talib Khan