New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Two days after the violent clash between the Indian and Chinese troops, which left 20 Indian soldiers martyred, at the Galwan area in eastern Ladakh, Foreign minister S Jaishankar had a telephonic conversation today with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi.

During the conversation, first since the clash happened on Monday, S Jaishankar conveyed strong message to the Chinese government and said that the premeditated and planned action by China will have a serious impact on the bilateral relations. Jaishankar also underlined that China should immediately reassess its actions and take corrective steps.

“What happened in Galwan was premeditated and planned action by China which was responsible for the sequence of events,” S Jaishankar told Wang Yi, as reported by news agency ANI.

 

“This unprecedented development will have a serious impact on the bilateral relationship. The need of the hour was for the Chinese side to reassess its actions and take corrective steps”, the EAM added.

Also Read: Ladakh Standoff | 'India Capable Of Befitting Reply If Instigated': PM Modi Warns China After Galwan Valley Clash

During the telephonic conversation, it was also discussed between the two ministers that both the countries should handle the overall situation in responsible manner and would implement disengagement understanding discussed on June 6.

 

The two also came to the conclusion that neither India, nor China would take any action and escalate the tensions, rather both should work to ensure peace as per bilateral agreements and protocols.  

“In conclusion, it was agreed that overall situation would be handled in responsible manner&both sides would implement disengagement understanding of 6 June sincerely. Neither side would take any action to escalate matters&ensure peace as per bilateral agreements & protocols” the MEA said in a statement.

The statement by the Ministry of External Affairs also stated that any of two countries should not take any unilateral action to escalate the matter and should abide to the bilateral agreements and protocols.

“Two sides should scrupulously & sincerely implement the understanding reached by Senior Commanders on June 6. Troops of both sides should also abide by bilateral agreements & protocols. They should strictly respect & observe LAC & shouldn't take any unilateral action to alter it” the statement by MEA added.   

Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi warned the Chinese counterpart with stern warning and said that India believes in peace but the country is capable of giving befitting reply if instigated, be it any kind of situation. He also said that the sacrifice of our soldiers will not go in vain. 

"I would like to assure the nation that the sacrifice of our jawans will not be in vain. For us, the unity and sovereignty of the country is the most important...India wants peace but it is capable to give a befitting reply if instigated", PM Narendra Modi said as reported by ANI. 

In another development, PM Modi had called an all-party meet on June 19 to discuss the ongoing situation at the Ladakh border.  Presidents of various political parties from across the country will take place in the virtual meet called by the Prime Minister.   

Also Read: Ladakh Standoff | PM Calls All-Party Meet On Friday To Discuss Situation In Indo-China Border Areas

"In order to discuss the situation in the India-China border areas, Prime Minister @narendramodi has called for an all-party meeting at 5 pm on 19th June. Presidents of various political parties would take part in this virtual meeting," the PMO tweeted.

At least 20 Indian Army personnel, including a Colonel rank officer, had lost their lives in the violent face-off in the Galwan valley area of Ladakh on June 15.

The violent face-off happened on late evening and the night of June 15 in Ladakh's Galwan Valley as a result of an attempt by the Chinese troops to "unilaterally change" the status quo during de-escalation in Eastern Ladakh and the situation could have been avoided if the agreement at the higher level been scrupulously followed by the Chinese side, India said on June 16.

The Chinese Army also suffered 35 casualties during the violent clash with the Indian military in eastern Ladakh's Galwan Valley, official sources said on Wednesday quoting US intelligence reports. The figure could be a combination of total number of soldiers killed and seriously wounded, they added.

Also Read: Ladakh Standoff: 35 Chinese Casualties In Galwan Valley Clash, Says US Intelligence; 20 Indian Soldiers Martyred

Monday's clash was the biggest confrontation between the two militaries after their 1967 clashes in Nathu La in 1967 when India lost around 80 soldiers while over 300 Chinese army personnel were killed in the confrontation. 

Posted By: Talib Khan