New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Day after the Lieutenant General-level talk between the Indian and Chinese armies to solve the month-long standoff in eastern Ladakh, the Indian government on Sunday said that the two sides will continue the "military and diplomatic engagements" to resolve the situation and to "ensure peace and tranquillity" in the border areas.

In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said that both sides have agreed to "peacefully resolve situation in border areas in accordance with various bilateral agreements and keeping in view agreement between the leaders that peace and tranquility in the India-China border regions is essential for overall development of bilateral relations". 

"Both sides also noted that this year marked the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries (India and China) and agreed that an early resolution would contribute to the further development of the relationship," the External Affair Ministry said in a statement, as reported by news agency ANI.

The top commanders of the Indian and Chinese armies on Saturday held talks to resolve the month-long border stand-off in Ladakh. The Indian delegation was led by Lt General Harinder Singh, the general officer commanding of Leh-based 14 Corps, while the Chinese side was headed by the Commander of the Tibet Military District.

According to a report by news agency PTI, the Indian delegation pressed for restoration of status quo ante in all the sensitive areas along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) besides seeking withdrawal of additional Chinese troops from the region. 

"Indian and Chinese officials continue to remain engaged through the established military and diplomatic channels to address the current situation in the India-China border areas," PTI quoted an Indian Army official as saying.

Saturday's talks also came a day after the two countries held diplomatic talks during which both sides agreed to handle their "differences" through peaceful discussions while respecting each other's sensitivities and concerns.

After the standoff began in early last month, Indian military leadership decided that Indian troops will adopt a firm approach in dealing with the aggressive posturing by the Chinese troops in all disputed areas of Pangong Tso, Galwan Valley, Demchok and Daulat Beg Oldie.

The Chinese army is learnt to have deployed around 2,500 troops in Pangong Tso and Galwan Valley besides gradually enhancing temporary infrastructure and weaponry.

The India-China border dispute covers the 3,488-km-long LAC. China claims Arunachal Pradesh as part of southern Tibet while India contests it.

(With PTI and ANI inputs)

Posted By: Aalok Sensharma