Kulbhushan Jadhav Case: New Delhi granted second consular access, Indian officials at Pak foreign office
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Kulbhushan Jadhav, the 50-year-old retired Indian Navy officer who has been sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of "espionage and terrorism", has been granted second consular access.
India had earlier today asked Pakistan to give "unconditional consular access" to Jadhav, as per sources quoted by news agency ANI.
Earlier, Pakistan had claimed that he had refused to file a review plea on the Pakistani court military court's judgment.
India had refuted the claim as "farce" saying that Jadhav has clearly been coerced to refuse to file a review in his case. "Pakistan's claim that Jadhav, who is incarcerated in Pakistan's custody, has refused to initiate review petition is a continuation of the farce that has been in play for the last four years," the MEA had said.
Meanwhile, a senior Pakistani Opposition Senator has criticised the government for not tabling in Parliament an ordinance promulgated in May to allow a foreign national to file a petition for the reconsideration of a military court's verdict.
Last week, Pakistan's Additional Attorney General Ahmed Irfan said that on June 17, 2020, Jadhav was offered to file an appeal in the Islamabad High Court for review and reconsideration of his sentence and conviction.
He said the Pakistan government promulgated an ordinance on May 20 to let the Indian government, Jadhav or his legal representative to file a review petition in IHC within 60 days. The ordinance would expire on July 19.
Jadhav was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of "espionage and terrorism" in April 2017 following which India had moved the International Court of Justice (ICJ) seeking a stay on his death sentence.
In July, 2017, the ICJ ordered Pakistan to undertake an "effective review and reconsideration" of the conviction and sentence of Jadhav.
Posted By: Abhinav Gupta