Two civilians dead, seven injured as Pak violates ceasefire along LoC; intruder nabbed
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Two civilians died, while seven persons were injured on Tuesday when Pakistan army shelled forward posts and villages along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir's Poonch district, ANI reported. The firing and shelling from across the border in Shahpur and Kirni sectors was retaliated by the Indian army, a defence spokesperson said.
"At about 2.30 pm, Pakistan initiated unprovoked ceasefire violation by firing of small arms and shelling with mortars in the two sectors. The Indian army is retaliating befittingly," PTI quoted the official as saying. "The injured are being shifted to a hospital. The shelling is going on heavily in the area," he added.
A man from a village of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) was nabbed while he was found having been infiltrated from the Line of Control in the Nowshera sector of Rajouri district.
During the initial investigation, the suspect was identified as Tariq Mahmood, a resident of Chai Nalla village of Samahani Tehsil in Bhimber district of PoK, Manhas said. He was found with arms and ammunition including a rifle and 64 live cartridges from Ikhala Plamar forest in Kishtwar. Further investigation is underway.
Since last week, Pakistani troops have repeatedly resorted to unprovoked mortar shelling and small arms fire at forward Indian positions and civilian areas.
Earlier on Monday, Minister of State for Defence, Shripad Naik on Monday informed Rajya Sabha that there have been 950 incidents of ceasefire violations along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir region from August to October since the abrogation of Article 370-- that bifurcated the state into two union territories -- Ladakh and Kashmir.
The Union Minister added that the appropriate retaliation was carried out by the Indian Army. Pakistan has openly objected to the move and tried to raise the issue on several international platforms.
Posted By: James Kuanal