‘In deep shock but proud’: Parents of Col Santosh Babu who lost his life during violent clash with Chinese soldiers
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Shocked by the unexpected loss of their son, parents of Colonel Santosh Babu, the Commanding Officer of the 16 Bihar Regiment, who lost his life during the violent face-off with the Chinese troops in Galwan valley on Monday night, said that they are both sad and proud.
Colonel Santosh Babu from Telangana along with two Jawans -- Havildar Palani from Tamil Nadu and Sepoy Ojha from Jharkhand were among the 20 martyred soldiers who were killed in the first violent clash between the India and China since 1975.
Upender and Manjula, the parents said they had first been in disbelief but later accepted the truth after being informed by higher authorities about the face-off.
Colonel Santosh Babu’s mother, Manjula said that she could not believe that her son was martyred at first but had to accept the harsh truth after confirmation. "We received the news, yesterday afternoon at 2 pm that my son has been martyred. I could not believe that my son has been martyred," she said as quoted by news agency ANI.
Meanwhile, his father said that they are in deep shock. "We are under deep shock, We could not believe it when we got to know about our son. I could not believe it as he was very brave. Since the last fifteen years, he had gained success. I immediately inquired from one of the officers. Later, several officers of the Army contacted directly through my phone. They said that they are making arrangements to get the body from that place to Suryapet," Col Santosh's father, Upender, said as quoted by ANI.
He added that the body of his son will reach Suryapet by today evening, and also said that he has been given assurance of full support from leaders and officials, including MoS (Home) G Kishan Reddy.
"By tomorrow the body will reach here, along with my daughter-in-law and the kids, the officer told me on phone. Kishan Reddy spoke to me on the phone as well. All the delegates from Suryapet, including, Collector has given us assurance to support us at this time. An Army official has informed that the body will start in the day and reach Suryapet at around 4 pm via Chandigarh to Hyderabad and then Suryapet," he said.
The violent face-off happened on late evening and night of June 15 in Ladakh's Galwan Valley as a result of an attempt by the Chinese troops to "unilaterally change" the status quo during de-escalation in Eastern Ladakh and the situation could have been avoided if the agreement at the higher level been scrupulously followed by the Chinese side, India said on Tuesday.
The Army confirmed that 20 soldiers were killed in the face-off including 17 who were critically injured at the stand-off location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain.
Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area in Ladakh where they had earlier clashed on the night of June 15 and 16, Indian Army said.
(With ANI Inputs)
Posted By: Talib Khan