New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Amid the rising coronavirus cases in the national capital, Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Sunday said that he did not agree with deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia's remarks that Delhi will have 5.5 lakh COVID-19 cases by the end of July, adding that it created "fear" among people.

Speaking to news agency ANI in an interview, the Union Home Minister dismissed the reports of community transmission in Delhi, asking people not to worry. Shah told ANI that the country is going to win the war gainst the highly contagious coronavirus under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

"Around the second week of June, Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said that by July 31 there will be 5.50 lakh persons infected with the virus. He said that there will be no place left, no beds left and the situation will be difficult. This created a lot of fear in the minds of people in Delhi. His estimate was based on figures. I do not want to go into whether estimate was right or wrong. But a situation of fear arose and some people started mulling an exodus (out of Delhi)," Amit Shah told news agency ANI in an interview.

He also spoke about the need of coordination meeting called by him over the coronavirus crisis in Delhi and said that normally it is the duty of the Delhi government "regarding coordination and improving the systems", adding that PM Modi had asked him to "take an initiative to move forward and help the state government".

Shah also assured that there is full coordination between the Centre and Delhi government, adding that "Arvind Kejriwal is always kept in the loop and decisions are taken by involving him also".

Stressing that Delhi is not in "community transmission stage", Shah said that the the Centre would not hesitate in making the announcement if the national capital reach that state.

"I have talked to three senior-most officials - Dr Paul (from Niti Aayog), IMCR chief Dr Bhargava and Dr Guleria (AIIMS New Delhi Director). This situation has not come to Delhi. Such situation appeared because of the total tests done, earlier 30 per cent turned out to be positive and that was happening because tests were done at the last moment. Now that we have started doing 20,000 tests on average, this condition is not there. I have held technical discussions on this...today this situation is not there in Delhi. There is no need to fear," ANI quoted Shah as saying.

Speaking about Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government's decision hospitals reserving COVID-19 beds only for residents of the city-state, Shah said that "Delhi is the capital of the country" and that's why the decision was reversed, adding that "people from different states stay here, come and go". 

He also spoke about his visit to Delhi government's LNJP Hospital and told ANI that it helped boost morale of healthcare workers and the confidence of citizens. Shah also said that he met a number of nurses and healthcare staff and came to know of about a number of issues.

"On June 14, there were 9,937 COVID-19 beds in Delhi. 30,000 beds will be available by June 30. 8,000 beds are available in railway coaches, 8,000 more being added. DRDO setting up dedicated hospital with 250 ICU beds. ITBP to run 10,000 bedded Radha Soami Satsang Beas COVID-19 centre," Shah was quoted as saying by ANI.

Delhi has emerged a coronavirus hotspot in the country. The national capital has become the second worst-hit state in India with over 80,000 cases of the deadly pathogen. According to Union Health Ministry, the novel coronavirus has claimed over 2,500 lives in Delhi so far. 

The Health Ministry data further says that there are more than 28,000 active coronavirus cases in Delhi while over 49,000 people have been cured and discharged from hospitals.

Posted By: Aalok Sensharma