New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: The Lieutenant Governor (LG) of Delhi, Anil Baijal on Tuesday approved the premature release of 1999 Jessica Lal murder case convict Manu Sharma, who was serving life sentenceThe Delhi Sentence Review Board (SRB) which comes under the Delhi government had recommended Sharma's premature release last month.

PTI sources said the recommendation was made at a meeting of the SRB chaired by Delhi Home Minister Satyendar Jain on May 11. According to news agency ANI, Manu Sharma was released from the Tihar jail yesterday after serving imprisonment for 17 long years on the grounds of good behaviour. 

Advocate Amit Sahni, while speaking to ANI on Tuesday, confirmed the development and said that Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal has approved the name of Siddharth Vashishth also known as Manu Sharma for release from Tihar Jail. He said that Sharma's name was approved in a sentence review board meeting held on May 11. Earlier, Delhi High Court had also asked the SRB to consider his name for release.


According to his petition for release, the convict has undergone imprisonment for 16 years, 11 months and 24 days in actual, and 23 years 4 months and 22 days with remission. He has availed parole 12 times and furlough 24 times. Sahni said that the Special Commissioner of Delhi Police (Crime) has not opposed the premature release of the convict in the meeting.

Sharma, son of former Union minister Venod Sharma, was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment by the Delhi High Court in December 2006 for killing Jessica Lal in 1999. He was also charged under Section 201 (causing disappearance of evidence of the offence, or giving false information to screen offender) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).


A trial court had acquitted him, but the high court reversed the order and the Supreme Court later upheld his life sentence in April 2010. Lal was shot dead by Sharma after she had refused to serve him liquor at the Tamarind Court restaurant owned by socialite Bina Ramani at Qutub Colonnade in south Delhi's Mehrauli area on the night of April 30, 1999. 

From the past two years, Manu Sharma was imprisoned in an open jail on the account of good behaviour. The authorities have allowed him to leave the prison for work at 8 am and return at 6 pm. He was working with a non-profit organistaion for the rehabilitation of the prisoners of the Tihar jail. 

(With Agencies Inputs)

Posted By: Talib Khan