New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare on Monday said that 63 per cent of the deaths have been reported among people over 60 years age while 30 per cent in age bracket of 40 to 60 years and 7 per cent victims were below 40 years age.

Addressing it daily press conference, the Health Ministry said that the novel virus has claimed the lives of 109 people and affected over 4,000 in the country so far.

The Health Ministry further said that males account for 73 per cent total COVID-19 deaths while female for 27 per ccent of the fatalities.

"In 47 per cent cases, the victims are less than 40 years old, and in 34 per cent cases the patients are 40-60 years old. In 19 per cent of cases, the patients are 60 years or above," said Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Joint Secretary Lav Agarwal, as quoted by news agency ANI.

He said that there is a higher risk associated if the elderly people test COVID-19 positive.

"63 per cent deaths have been reported in the people who are 60 years or above and 30 per cent in the people from 40-60 years and 7 per cent death among those who are below 40 years," he said. 

He also said that the Indian Railways transported sugar through 1340 wagons, salt through 958 wagons and edible oil through 316 wagons/tanks, to different parts of the country amid lockdown in the last 13 days.

"There was a meeting of the Council of Ministers today in which further discussion took place on the plan of action regarding COVID-19 challenges. A detailed guideline has been released by the Health Ministry in which we have focused on signs, symptoms and segregating cases," said Aggarwal.

"Rs 1,100 crore has already been released from the National Health Mission Funds for the States. Also, an additional amount of Rs 3,000 crore has been released today," he said.

(With ANI inputs)

Posted By: Aalok Sensharma