Ayodhya Verdict: From allotting alternative land to Muslims to decreeing disputed land to Hindus | Highlights
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: The Supreme Court today delivered the verdict in the much-awaited Ayodhya land dispute. A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi delivered the verdict in the case. The bench also comprises of Justices SA Bobde, DY Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan and S Abdul Nazeer. The 5-judge Constitution bench had reserved the judgement on October 16 after marathon hearing of 40 days.
A notice regarding the pronouncement of judgement by a Constitution bench was uploaded on the official website of the Supreme Court late Friday evening.
Here are the highlights of the Supreme Court verdict in the Ayodhya land dispute:
* Title of the land can be decided only by legal evidence, says SC
* We have dismissed the Single Leave Petition (SLP) filed by Shia Waqf Board challenging the order of 1946 Faizabad Court, says CJI Gogoi
* Babri mosque was built by Mir Baqi. It is inappropriate for the Court to get into area of theology, says CJI Gogoi
* This court must accept faith and accept belief of worshippers. Court should preserve balance, says CJI Gogoi
* The claim of Nirmohi Akhara is only of management. Nirmohi Akhara is not a 'Shabait'. Arguments were made on archaeology report. Archaeological Survey of India's credentials are beyond doubt and its findings can’t be neglected, says SC
* Hindus consider Ayodhya as birthplace of Lord Ram,they have religious sentiments,Muslims call it Babri mosque. Faith of Hindus that Lord Ram was born here is undisputed, says SC
* Hindus have faith and belief that Lord Ram was born under the dome. Faith is a matter of individual belief, says SC
* Titles can’t be decided on faith and belief but on the claims. Historical accounts indicate the belief of Hindus that Ayodhya was the birthplace of Lord Ram, says SC
* There is evidence that Ram Chabutra, Sita Rasoi was worshipped by the Hindus before the British came. Evidence in the records shows that Hindus were in the possession of outer court of the disputed land, says SC
* There is no evidence that Muslims abandoned mosque. Hindus always believed birthplace of Lord Ram was in inner courtyard of mosque. Clearly established that Muslims offered prayer inside inner courtyard and Hindus offered prayers in outer courtyard, says SC
* Allahabad HC was wrong in dividing the disputed site into three parts, says SC
* Allotment of alternative land to Muslims to build new mosque, directs SC
* Muslims have presented no evidence of exclusive possession prior to 1857. But thereafter they offered namaz there till they were ousted in 1949 through desecration, says SC
* Centre will hand over the disputed site to the Board of trustees and a suitable alternative plot of land measuring 5 acres at Ayodhya will be given to Sunni Waqf Board, says SC
* Supreme Court orders that Central Govt within 3-4 months formulate scheme for setting up of trust and hand over the disputed site to it for construction of temple at the site and a suitable alternative plot of land measuring 5 acres at Ayodhya will be given to Sunni Wakf Board.
* Supreme Court asks Centre to consider granting some kind of representation to Nirmohi Akhara in setting up of trust.
Posted By: Aalok Sensharma