New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Pakistan on Monday evening released the two Indian High Commission officials, almost 12 hours after they were arrested by the local authorities for their alleged involvement in a ‘hit-and-run’ case.

The Pakistani authorities were forced to release the officials – identified as Dwimu Brahma and Paul Selvadhas -- after India informed Islamabad that they had diplomatic immunity.

However, the two officials had horrifying 12-hour detention. According to a report by Hindustan Times, the two officials were picked from a petrol pump near the Indian High Commission by a group of 15-16 armed men.     

The report claims that the two officials were “blindfolded with a rucksack thrown over their heads and handcuffed” and taken to an unknown location which was about 10 minutes from their place of abduction.

Government officials told Hindustan Times that the Indian officials were brutally beaten with ‘rods and wooden sticks’ and were questioned for about six hours by the Pakistani authorities.

“The two Indian staffers were interrogated regarding the specific role and function of all High Commission officials,” Hindustan Times quoted the officials as saying while adding that the “kidnappers made multiple videos in which these staffers were forced to confess under duress that they had committed an accident”. 

“They were also threatened and told that this is how the other members of the high commission would be treated in the future,” the officials further told Hindustan Times.

The Hindustan Times report, however, claimed that the two officials were able to walk while adding that “no life-threatening injuries have been detected so far” in their medical examination.

The two Indian High Commission officials were arrested by Pakistani authorities at around 8 am (local time) on Monday from the Embassy Road in G-6 area of the capital after their vehicle allegedly hit a pedestrian.

A Pakistani official, quoted by news agency PTI, said that they were shifted to Secretariat Police Station and a case was registered against them for “injuring a person in reckless driving and trying to flee.” According to the FIR, they were allegedly carrying fake currency.

After the disappearance of the officials, India had summoned Pakistan charge d'affaires in New Delhi and warned him that there should be “no interrogation or harassment of the Indian officials”.

“The demarche to Pakistan's Charge d'affaires made clear that there should be no interrogation or harassment of the Indian officials. The responsibility for the safety and security of the concerned diplomatic personnel lay squarely with the Pakistani authorities,” news agency ANI quoted government sources as saying.

This incident comes two weeks after India expelled two Pakistan High Commission officials here on charges of espionage. India had declared Abid Hussain and Muhammad Tahir as 'persona non grata' after they were found obtaining sensitive documents relating to the movement of Indian Army troops from an Indian national, the government had said.

Following their expulsion, Pakistani agencies started harassing several Indian High Commission officials in Islamabad including charge d'affaires Gaurav Ahluwalia.

Posted By: Aalok Sensharma