Controversy erupts over film rights of Jyoti Kumar’s inspirational 1,200 km cycle ride with ailing father amid lockdown
New Delhi | Jagran Entertainment Desk: A dispute erupted over the rights of a film based on a 15-year old Jyoti Kumar, who peddled all the way from Gurugram to Darbhanga with her ailing father amid the coronavirus lockdown.
A journalist and a filmmaker Vinod Kapri who owns Bhaagirathi Films Private Limited claimed that he had made a contract signed by the girl’s father- Mohan Paswan and had even paid advance money for the rights over a month ago.
Whereas, Shine Krishna who owns an old film production venture Wemakefilmz along with his friends claimed that they legally acquired the exclusive motion picture rights for the story.
According to a PTI report Shine Krishna and his friends who are partners at Wemakefilmz, had already bagged the rights of the documentary on Jyoti’s life, where she will be the protagonist. He added that the film will start its production from August.
However, Vinod Kapri took to Twitter on Friday to share a video of Mohan Paswan, Jyoti’s father signing the contract. He added a note in which he tagged actor Sanjay Mishra and said that someone had given him wrong information or misguided him. He also added that as per an agreement on May 27, the rights of the film are with Bhagirathi Films Pvt Ltd (BFPL) and no one else has the right to make the movie.
Bhagirathi Films Private Limited said in a statement that the contract was signed on 27 May and 20 per cent of the total amount had already been transferred to Mohan’s account whereas the rest 80 per cent was to be transferred after the commencement of work.
An associate director from BFPL, Mahendra, as quoted by PTI said, "Today, we came to know about the new agreement, which is illegal and a breach of contract with Bhagirathi Films. We request Mohan to cancel this new contract and put an end to the dispute. If the new contract goes into force neither Kapri nor Mohan will be able to make a film.”
Whereas, Krishna announced that Wemakefilmz has already owned the exclusive motion picture rights on Jyoti Kumari documentary.
He said, "Before signing the life story rights option agreement, we have crossed checked the agreement which has been signed through somebody by Kapri... he was not physically present there and there was no sign of Jyoti or her mother. So that one agreement will not have any legal value," he said in a statement issued on behalf of Wemakefilmz.
The controversy ended when in another statement, BFPL said that nearly a month after signing a contract for a film, web series, and documentary with it, Mohan Paswan breach the contract and has entered into a new contract with Krishna Shine. Now, the Wemakefilmz exclusively holds the life story rights of Jyoti Kumai and family.
Jyoti cycled her ailing father for almost 1,200 kilometres from Haryana’s Gurugram to Bihar. They were stuck in Gurugarm amid nationwide lockdown. She decided to leave with Mohan when the financial situation got worse.
(With PTI Inputs)
Posted By: Talib Khan