Sourav Ganguly Birthday Special: Check out 7 lesser-known facts about the 'Prince Of Kolkata'
New Delhi | Jagran Sports Desk: Sourav Ganguly, fondly known as Dada is one of the finest batters of India. He led the Indian cricket team for more than five years and even won the 2003 World Cup for his country. Now he is serving as the President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India(BCCI) and giving the new shape to the Indian cricket team. Well, this is some of the infoirmation that everone is aware off, however, we bet you wouldn't be aware of these facts about Sourav Ganguly that we have brought you on the eve of his birthday.
Here are a few unknown and interesting facts about Dada you must know:
- Sourav Ganguly's first name given by his parents was Maharaj which means ‘Prince’. Therefore, Geoffrey Boycott fondly called him ‘The Prince of Calcutta’ and he became famous with that name.
- Although Ganguly is a right-hander- he writes, bowls , and does almost everything from right hand. However, Sourav held his brother Snehashish's bat with left hand so that he could use his elder brother’s kit since he was a left hander.
- Ganguly has been a huge football fan since childhood. It was because of his brother that Ganguly was enrolled in a cricket academy. However, eventually Ganguly mastered the game so much that he replaced his brother in the Bengal Ranji Trophy team.
- The cricketer also has a three-storey restaurant The Food Pavilion in Calcutta’s posh locality Park Street. It was inaugurated by Sachin Tendulkar in 2004.
- Ganguly is the only cricketer to win four successive Man of the Match (MoM) awards in ODIs between 14th September and 21st September 1997.
- Ganguly was once was dropped from the game because of his rumoured "attitude" problems. He allegedly refused to carry drinks for a senior cricketer- which he denies.
- In his entire career, Ganguly's Test average never fell below 40 at any point. His Test career average is 42.17.
Posted By: Sugandha Jha