IPL Governing Council to review its sponsorship as deals with Chinese companies under scanner after Galwan clash
New Delhi | Jagran Sports Desk: After the violent face-off between India and China in which 20 Indian soldiers were martyred in Galwan valley, the Indian Premier League (IPL) is mulling to review various sponsorship deals in its Governing Council meeting scheduled for next week.
Currently, Chinese mobile manufacturer Vivo is the title sponsor of the IPL and the Board of Control for Cricket (BCCI) gets Rs 440 crore annually from the five-year deal ending in 2022.
"Taking note of the border skirmish that resulted in the martyrdom of our brave jawans, the IPL Governing Council has convened a meeting next week to review IPL's various sponsorship deals," IPL's official Twitter handle wrote in a post.
Taking note of the border skirmish that resulted in the martyrdom of our brave jawans, the IPL Governing Council has convened a meeting next week to review IPL’s various sponsorship deals 🇮🇳
June 19, 2020
The BCCI decision to review the deal comes a day after BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal told PTI that money from Chinese sponsorship is helping Indian economy but they would always put country first if the situation demands.
Earlier, the Indian Olympic Association's (IOA) treasurer Anandeshwar Pandey on Thursday also said that the issue regarding snapping ties which Chinese sponsors will be discussed in the next executive committee meeting.
"IOA will discuss the issue related to Chinese sponsorships in its executive committee meeting. This is something about which all members have to discuss in our executive committee meeting, no decision can be taken alone", he said as reported by ANI.
Anti-China sentiments are running high in India following the border clash between the two countries at Galwan valley earlier this week. Many people have urged organisations to discontinue Chinese investments in the country as well.
20 Indian Army personnel, including a Colonel, were killed in the violent face-off between Indian and Chinese troops. Indian intercepts had revealed that the Chinese side suffered 43 casualties including dead and seriously injured in the violent clash.
The IPL was scheduled to commence from March 29 but was postponed indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic. Earlier this month, the BCCI said it can host the IPL behind closed doors if the situation demands it. The board also said that it is working on all possible options to stage the tournament this year.
(With Agencies Inputs)
Posted By: Talib Khan