Ind vs Ban: DDCA officials keep fingers crossed as visibility worsens in Delhi ahead of first T20
New Delhi | Jagran Sports Desk: Delhi’s pollution level has gone from bad to worse and the light spells of rain on Saturday has made situation worse, resulting in lack of visibility. In such a scenario, the DDCA officials are keeping their fingers crossed and hoping for the smog to settle down in time for the game.
The groundstaff are trying their best and are continuously spraying water on the roads, pavements and trees outside the Arun Jaitley Stadium to curb the rising level of pollution. However, it may not be enough to grab a complete hold of the situations.
Meanwhile a senior DDCA official told news agency IANS that the groundstaff are helpless in such a scenario and it all now depends on nature and prayers.
"Contrary to the belief that showers on Saturday would have helped settle things down, today is the worst of the lot. The eyes are hurting and visibility is at an all-time low. Hopefully, the sun does come out and the smog settles else it will be very difficult to get the match going. We are helpless in such a scenario and can only pray that the match happens," IANS quoted the official as saying.
Asked if the call will be taken solely by the match referee, the official said it will involve the umpires and the groundstaff could also be consulted.
"The call has to be taken by the match referee and he will consult the umpires. They can also check with the groundstaff to decide on the fate of the match if the condition stays the way it is. But then again, you never know with the weather and things could change in the evening. But if you go by the current scenario, things are a little grim to be honest," the official said.
Meanwhile, some reports have said that Indian skipper Rohit Sharma has informed BCCI president Sourav Ganguly that his players are ready to play in the capital.
"The President checked with Rohit and the team is comfortable and there is no problem they had after a full-on training session on Friday. In fact, there is an optional training even on the eve of the game. The skipper has given the thumbs up to the BCCI chief," IANS quoted a source as saying.
In fact, even on Thursday Rohit made it clear that the air was no issue. "I have just landed and haven't had time to assess. As far as I know the game is to be played on 3rd and will be played. We didn't have any problem when we played the Test match here (against Sri Lanka). We are not aware of the exact discussion and I haven't had any problem," he had said.
(With IANS inputs)
Posted By: Aalok Sensharma