Updated: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 10:09 PM IST
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Massive protests have been planned in the national capital against the contentious Citizenship Act, leading to huge traffic jams as the police have barricaded roads and imposed traffic restrictions.
Meanwhile, the entry and exit gates of as many as 20 metro stations -- including Rajiv Chowk -- wered closed in view of the two protest marchs -- one from Red Fort to Shaheed Park near ITO and another from Mandi House to Parlaiment Street.
Police has already denied the permission for the protest near the Red Fort citing law and order issues, but the protestors said they will go ahead with the march.
Here are the latest traffic and Delhi Metro updates:
- All metro stations, excluding Jamia Millia Islamia and Jasola Vihar Shaheen Bagh, were opened by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC).
"All entry & exit gates of Chandni Chowk, Barakhamba, Mandi House, Pragati Maidan, Lal Quila, Jama Masjid, Delhi Gate, ITO, Janpath, Khan Market, Vasant Vihar and Munirka are open," the DMRC tweeted.
- Entry and exit gates of Delhi Gate are closed. Trains will not be halting at this station.
- All entry and exit gates of Rajiv Chowk are open.
- Traffic is heavy in the carriageway from R/A Baraf Khana to Mori Gate due to break down of a bus near R/A Baraf Khana.
- Scores of protesters gather at Jantar Mantar to protest the amended Citizenship Act after they were not allowed to demonstrate near Red Fort and Mandi House where prohibitory orders have been imposed.
- Sansad Marg and Jai Singh Marg (both carriageway) is closed due to demonstration. Kindly avoid these marg and take alternate route: Delhi Traffic Police
- Entry & exit gates of Rajiv Chowk are closed. Interchange facility is available at this station.
- Entry & exit gates of Janpath are closed. Trains will not be halting at this station.
- Traffic is heavy in the carriageway from Delhi Gate to GPO due to Swabhiman Rally. Traffic is effected on Subhash Marg, Peeli Kothi, Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Marg, Red Fort, Old delhi railway station.
- Traffic is heavy in the carriageway from Aya Nagar Border to Delhi and Kapashera Border to Delhi due to demonstration.
- Barakhamba Road, Vasant Vihar and Mandi House metro stations have been closed in wake of the protests at the Red Fort.
- Long jam at Delhi-Gurugram expressway due to police barricading.
- Road No. 13A between Mathura Road and Kalindi Kunj is closed for traffic movement. People coming from Noida are advised to take DND or Akshardham to reach Delhi: Delhi Traffic Police
- Delhi: Section-144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (prohibits assembly of more than 4 people in an area) has been imposed near Red Fort. #CitizenshipAct pic.twitter.com/xFI1WsfOO4
— ANI (@ANI) December 19, 2019
- Entry and exit gates at 15 metro stations have been closed in view of the protests. They are Jamia Millia Islamia, Jasola Vihar, Shaheen Bagh, Munirka, Lal Quila, Jama Masjid, Chandni Chowk, Vishwavidyalaya, Patel Chowk, Lok Kalyan Marg, Udyog Bhawan, ITO, Pragati Maidan, Khan Market and Central Secretariat. Interchange facility is available at Central Secretariat station.
- Massive traffic jam is reported at Delhi-Gurugram border. People going from Gurugram to Delhi are likely to be affected as the local police have put barricadings for checking in view of the protests planned at Red Fort.