Coronavirus Outbreak: ‘No concerns about price rise so far’, says Nirmala Sitharaman as ministry reviews impact on industry
New Delhi | Jagran News Desk: Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Tuesday reviewed the impact of the outbreak of the deadly Coronavirus on industries and said that the government will shortly announce the measures to combat the effects of coronavirus outbreak on the economy after comprehensive consultation adding that there are no immediate concerns about price rise so far due to the deadly virus.
The comments from the Finance Minister came during a press briefing after she met industry and trade associations in Delhi to assess the impact of the deadly coronavirus on Indian trade and industry.
She further stated that her ministry will soon hold a meeting and discuss with the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) about the ways to prepare a directive for the disruptions in exports and imports due to the outbreak and said, "We need to ready our ports as the manufacturing sector is affected due to congestions and there might be a rush of raw materials from China when the situation improves in the coming months."
"Tomorrow, each secretary in the Finance Ministry will collate the issues and contact others from different ministeries and with that collated issues we expect to hold a meeting at the secretary level. We will talk about on a possible solution and discuss with PMO and announce a response," she added as quoted PTI.
She also said there were no reports of a shortage of medicines or medical equipment, instead, the pharma industry is asking for the lifting of the ban on exports of certain items. However, there could be some disruptions in supplies and concerns have been expressed by the representative of pharma, solar and chemical industries, she said. She also said that it is too early to talk about the impact of Covid-19 outbreak on the Make in India initiative.
The death toll due to the deadly coronavirus has reached 1868 after 98 more people died on Monday while the number of cases has jumped to 72,436.
The Chinese National Health Commission said that the 93 people were killed in the Hubie province, the epicentre of the outbreak, while three died in Henan. One each were also killed in Hebei and Hunan.
(With PTI Inputs)
Posted By: Talib Khan